OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
In recent years, Thai Union has prioritized developing the foundation of an Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety (EHS) Management System within the company. Implementation of Thai Union EHS Protocols ensures every Thai Union workplace operates under the same minimum EHS requirements. We systematically integrate Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety considerations into our business processes to overcome any challenges of building a safe workplace, and mitigate the risk of injuries and fatalities
In 2018, our journey to “Building a Trusted Workplace in Health and Safety” continued. We maintained the occupational illness frequency rate for employees at zero. We exceeded our target on the Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIFR) by 36 percent against our 2016 performance. There were no fatalities in 2018 for both employees and contractors.
In addition, one of our key initiatives in 2018 was conducting the “Ammonia Consequence Model Program”, starting at the Thai Union Group factory in Samut Sakhon, where we simulated the ammonia management model to proactively prevent ammonia hazards and risks to our plants and surrounding communities.
The following commitments help us identify improvement opportunities for our processes at a local regional and global level:
- Compliance: we are accountable for compliance with all applicable EHS&En legislations and customer requirements including appropriate international standards and guidelines obliged.
- Mitigation: we systematically integrate EHS&En considerations into our business processes to overcome any challenges of building a safe workplace, mitigating environmental adverse impacts, minimizing resource consumption, and improving energy efficiency.
- Culture: we instill EHS&En leadership behavior and the Right Culture for each levels of employees and business partners to deliver a positive difference in EHS&En performance.
- Engagement: we are committed in the best EHS&En strategy and practices which are achieved by integrating a mix of perspectives and experience through collaboration among our employees, customers, suppliers, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Continual improvement: we always monitor and review our EHS&En performance, exploring innovations, and learning to drive continual improvement towards world-class performance in the seafood industry.
CLIMATE CHANGE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Climate change is a global challenge involving economic, social and environmental issues. Oceans are also directly linked with climate change, whether through warming sea surface temperatures, rising sea levels, or ocean acidification. It is our social and environmental responsibility to take action to minimize the factors which cause climate change. Thai Union is committed to protecting the environment by mitigating risks from our natural resources consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, especially within our organization. We are also committed to our proactive environmental sustainability 2020 targets for enhancing our environmental accounting, monitoring and mitigation plans.
‘Trustworthy safety’ is central to every Thai Union workplace. We strive to provide safe working conditions for all our workforces and recognize that to achieve our ultimate goal of zero accidents, our daily actions – whether at processing factories, at shrimp farms or in offices – require diligent planning and management.
GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL & GHG PERFORMANCE Y2018 VS Y2016
In 2018, we reduced our greenhouse gas intensity emissions by 10.34 percent, or about 58,002 Ton CO2 equivalent., and reduced our water and waste to landfll by 9.66 percent and 46.97 percent, respectively, compared with 2016. The financial savings for Thai Union from these environmental reduction programs were more than USD 10 million.
SOLAR ENERGY GENERATION PROJECT ON PLANT ROOFTOP (SUN SEEKER PROJECT)
In 2018, we continued installing solar rooftops at Thai Union Manufacturing (TUM) and Songkhla Canning (SCC) with power capacity of 0.6 MW and 1 MW respectively. For these two projects, we will consume electricity from renewable energy sources of around 2,000,000 kWh/y and reduce GHG emissions by approximately 1,100 tons CO2 eq/y. We expect to install at least 20 MW in total by the end of 2019.
Thai Union Manufacturing
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Thai Union’s Environment, Health and Safety division works tirelessly to develop and implement stringent protocols to meet our commitments to reducing our environmental impact and providing a healthy and safe workplace for our employees, contractors and suppliers. These actions are guided by Thai Union’s Business Ethics and Labor Code of conduct and our sustainability strategy, SeaChange®
For more information about EHS Guideline, please click here